Can You Bring Your Family on an E1/E2 Visa?

In order to encourage investment from other countries, the United States provides E1 and E2 visas for foreign nationals who are making a large investment or starting a large trade operation in the US. Once the principal investor is approved for his visa, additional visas can be provided not only to executives and essential staff, but also to the spouse and dependents. If you are interested in acquiring an E1 or E2 visa but were worried about getting visas for your family, you should know that it is a very simple process.

Who Can You Bring with an E1 or E2 Visa?

After obtaining your visa, you can also get visas for your spouse and your dependents. Dependents are your unmarried children who are under 21 years old. If you have family members who are dependent on you but do not fall under this definition, you should contact your nearest US Consulate for more information on other nonimmigrant visa options.

How Can You Get Visas for Your Family?

Before you can apply for dependent visas, you must first apply and receive your own E1 or E2 visa. Depending on the nearest US Consulate, the procedure to obtain your family’s nonimmigrant visas may be slightly different. Contact the consulate closest to you and ask them how to apply. Generally, your family can fill out a similar form to the E1 and E2 visa and could receive their visas in as few as 15 business days.

Can a Spouse or Dependents Work in the United States?

The E1 and E2 visas do not provide work authorization for others; however, your spouse can apply for a separate work authorization by filing Form I-539. Your dependents are not eligible for a work authorization, but they can enroll in American schools with their visa.

Start Your US Enterprise

Now that you know that your family will be able to follow you on your E1 or E2 visa, you should focus on making sure you create a US business that is likely to succeed. James Timothy White and his team can help you do just that, because they have a number of franchises and other businesses from which you can choose. With select businesses, James Timothy White can even help you access up to 90% financing, so that you can quickly start your new business in America. Contact us for more information.