Obtaining E1 and E2 Visas for Immigrants Already in America

Are you currently investing in an enterprise in the United States? You likely have already heard of the E1 and E2 treaty visas which allow you to stay in the United States for a certain amount of years as you develop and direct your investment. In order to make the initial investment, you may have already traveled to the United States to meet partners, lenders, and potential employees. At this point, you can return to your home country and apply for an E1 or E2 visa, or you can apply for the visa while you’re still in America.

If You Have Valid Nonimmigrant Status

If you have a temporary US visa, you can apply for an E1 or E2 visa by submitting Form I-129 to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. USCIS will also ask for a specific E visa application, Form DS-156E, and they will ask for evidence that your investment is substantial and not marginal.

If You Do Not Have Valid Nonimmigrant Status

If you are do not have a US visa, or if it has already expired, you must first return to your home country before applying for an E1 or E2. Once in your home country, you must follow the standard procedure of submitting a Form DS-156E to your nearest US Consulate.

If You Have Valid Permanent Immigrant Status

If you are in the US as an immigrant with permanent residency, you do not need to file for an E1 or E2 visa, as these visas will only provide temporary residency. Instead, you should make sure that your visa authorizes you to work and invest in the United States. If not, you should apply for a work authorization visa.

James Timothy White Can Help You Find a Great Investment

If you are still looking for a US enterprise to buy or invest in, James and his team can help. James has a number of franchises and other businesses for sale to international investors, and these businesses can help you qualify for an E1 or E2 visa. In addition, we can help you access up to 90% financing on some of these businesses, helping you quickly get your investment off the ground. Contact us for more information about the businesses that are available.