Proper Use of Copyrighted Work

Have you ever used copyrighted work without paying the fees associated with the licensing of the products? If so, then you could be taking part in copyright infringement. If you want to use original work legally, you will want to make sure that you get any necessary permits. This includes playing music in your place of business, or using it in any written work. You are legally obligated to ensure that you have a license to use the work. This license comes directly from the holder of the copyright.

The following types of copyrighted works must are included in these regulations:

  • Music and other recorded sounds
  • Books, articles, poetry and other writing works
  • Architectural work, paintings, photos, drawings, and maps
  • Movies, DVDs, screenplays and scripts
  • Computer programs

It is important to remember that original works are usually protected by a copyright even if they don’t have the copyright symbol next to them. Usually, copyrights last until the author has been deceased for 50 years.

Here are some organizations that can help you with getting the required licenses to use works that have a copyright:

  • Society of Composers, Authors, and Music Publishers of Canada
  • Access Copyright
  • Canadian Artists Representation Copyright Collective

While getting the licenses that you need to use copyrighted works can sometimes be difficult, it is a necessity and you must follow all legal regulations.