When you put out a new product or service, a press release can really be helpful when it comes to getting the word out there to your potential customers. Even people who are not experts and marketing can write up their own press releases if they take the time to learn a few tips. When you are staring at a blank screen and worrying about what you will say, you will want to take a step back and focus on a few key things.
There are a few basic rules when it comes to writing a press release. The key is to focus on the body of the press release before you worry about coming up with a catchy heading for it. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Research ahead of time and get some information that is relevant and factual. This can be included in your press release.
- Determine whether or not you want your press release put out immediately or held until a certain date.
- Keep in mind the who, what, when, where and why are very important. It is best to use this type of structure.
- Use quotations in the body of the text. These can either be your quotations, or quotations from others.
- Make sure that you put your contact information in at the bottom of the press release with a call to action.
- Use links whenever possible to relevant information to add to your credibility.
- Include a photo.
Once you have finished your press release, you will want to read it back to yourself and make sure that it is newsworthy. You will be competing with other businesses, so you want yours to stand out. Next, it is time to come up with a catchy headline. You should make it something that will grab the attention of readers and hook them in. It should also be relevant to the body of the press release.
Some people use mixed media when it comes to their press releases. There are a variety of websites out there that you can submit your press releases to. You can also look to putting them in local newspapers and magazines. Also, don’t forget to take advantage of sites like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Timing of your press release is also very important. You want to make sure that you put it out there at just the right time. The good news is that the more you write press releases, the better you will be at it. While your first one may not be the best piece, your next one is bound to be even better.